Sunday, April 27, 2008

Hot Button

I hesitate to write this as I understand the multitude of news on the issue of homosexuality in the church. While I feel that it is crucial to be fully inclusive in our church, I am frustrated when people on both sides of the issue devote so much time to tearing each other down when we can put our energy into mission and ministry. I do not want the only time when our church makes national news to be when we arguing instead of doing good works. With that taken into consideration I know many are interested in what is happening and I will give you the news I am aware of on the issue of homosexuality.

I have attended (as an observer) portions of the committee and subcommittee working on some of those petitions. (Boy, it's hard to get those seats!) What they did was to take all of the petitions looking at paragraph 161G of the Book of Discipline and to create a new document with all of their suggestions. Through holy conferencing the group has produced this document and it is my understanding that this has been approved by the human sexuality subcommittee as well as the church and society 2 committee and will come before the full plenary sometime this week.

I have heard people on both sides of the issue pleased with the document, there was trust in the subcommittee when all of the petitions whose wording contributed to the above document as well as other admittedly "backup" resolutions were rejected unanimously.

I have hope for the future of the United Methodist Church.
Eric

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a question, is the proposed document linked in your post meant to replace the current paragraph 161G as it is found in the 2004 Discipline?

UNYRMN said...

That is correct.