Although many people (including myself) are continuing today with heavier hearts and slower steps than we had yesterday morning, I wanted to let you know that there are some pieces of good news coming from this General Conference.
- The GC voted to allocate funds for a research and learning center to express regret for the lives that were lost by an 1864 massacre of Native Americans led by a Methodist lay preacher. (article here)
- Young people are having many active leadership roles in this GC. (article here)
- The first female African president spoke to the GC--and she's an alumna of a United Methodist school in Liberia! (article here)
- Africa University continues to operate normally, even though the inflation rate of Zimbabwe is at 200,000%. Graduates of this university are providing leadership in their home countries in Africa and also in their churches. (article here)
- The UMC and the Lutheran church agreed to be in full communion with one another, recognizing each other's baptisms, eucharist, and full interchangeability of ordained pastors. (article here)